Thursday 14 April 2011

Iguazu Falls take 2: The Gratis Tour

Yesterday I had an awesome day off at the Argentinian side of Iguazu Falls with L, a girl who just arrived from Buenos Aires to work at Hostel Inn. She had a camera, bueno, so we got some great shots of us being really hot models and quasi-tarts (OK, that was just me) at various lookouts and on some tree branches. Luckily, I had chosen my shortest black dress again so I was appropriately attired for such behaviour.

We went on the Gran Adventura, completely free thanks to our connections at Hostel Inn (there is SOMETHING good about working here, fucking pelotudos) and all I had to pay was the entrance to the park which I also managed to get at a discount because L bought 2 tickets as "locals" which are 40 pesos compared to 100 for us "aliens". Sweetness in a jar.

First we went on the train to Garganta del Diablo (The Devil´s Throat) which I never made it to the last time I went to the falls... but it is the most spectacular view of the falls. Just breathtaking. I almost couldn´t take it all in. The water had such force you couldn´t see where it landed at the bottom, just that it cascaded into a misty, white foam so deceivingly beautiful you almost wanted to jump in there amongst it all.

We then headed to the butterfly-swamped pick-up point of the Ecological Tour, the slow ride people take that don´t want to be in amongst the fury of the rapids. It was nice and relaxing, except that we were all just perched on the sides of a rubber dinghy basically, with a rubber floor you could feel the rocks through. Even though we were told the water was just 70cm at some points, I still wasn´t comfortable casually sitting about 10ft from some crocodile-like creature and her 40-odd eggs.

Next stop - after walking the top circuit of the falls and more ridiculous poses - was the Jeep Safari ride into the jungle and then to the edge of the water. After having just 4 hours sleep the night before, I found myself nodding off as the guide rambled through facts about the flora and fauna around us. L couldn´t stop giggling. But since all we saw was a friggin spider (that also lives in Australia), I know I didn´t miss much. I want monkeys, dammit!

The speedboat ride was nice, a longer version than that I have already done but still had the same ending as the one those people died in a couple of weeks ago. Strangely enuf, though, I still wasn´t scared doing it, as much as I thought I would be. It was really fun but again we got absolutely soaked, and it had us worried we´d be cold as the day wasn´t exactly pure sunshine.

All was good, however, and it turns out the only thing we had to worry about was the friggin coates (racoon-like animals), who started after me in a group of about 20 once they saw I was eating cookies. I can work with camels and horses no dramas, but fuck me dead these critters scared the shit outta me!!

After a drying-out spell in the sun, we headed back to the house with the idea in our heads to make our own empanadas (a common food here that is basically a small pastie). Of course, being Argentinian it didn´t end up happening until late that evening and 3 hours later we found ourselves stuffing our faces with empanada at about 1:30am. Funnily enuf, though, it turns out I was the best at making the things! Foreigner wins! But twas a fittingly great ending to the best day off I will have here.

No comments:

Post a Comment