Tuesday 26 April 2011

Dancing in the street

So after my epic Tequila-induced, casi-coma evening, I firmly swore to myself I wouldn´t go out again. I did have to actually get out of the hostel though, and get some air, because I was feeling a little claustrophobic in the downstairs bar and I didn´t need any help wanting to throw up again.

I wandered around the beautiful Sunday markets around the corner, seeing so many things I wanted to buy... jewelry, handicrafts, clothes... but sternly telling myself I did not need any of it. In truth, I will just go back next week and get it all.

I made friends with a stall owner who made jewelry, but he had such a hard accent and I only half understand that he wanted me to go somewhere the next day to show me something. I gave him my email anyway, he seemed like a nice guy...

At one point, I felt someone following me so I just stayed in the main area so I was always around people, and eventually ran into an American guest from Tango City. Was good to have a friend! We walked around and saw some awesome street music, similar to the blocos during Carnaval where people just start dancing in the street and banging on drums and yelling out random things. Brilliant!! I would have been right in there if I´d had an ounce of energy left in me.

Then we went back to the hostel, I changed rooms to a dorm - thank GOD, no more dirty carpet making me sneeze and giving me hair bugs - and I joined some other friends from England to the plaza down the road. They have tango there each night, but not professional, just for random locals who want to have a dance. So many people here know tango, it´s brilliant. It was lovely just to sit and watch... a guy asked if I wanted to do it, but I wasn´t game enuf. If you don´t know those steps... no, not a good idea.

There I met some guys from BA, and they joined us all for a drink then we went to a bar nearby. Most of the guests left and eventually it was just me and the BA guys, and a smoking hot local chick. I mentioned the word ¨coke¨ and that was the opening for a massive night on the rack... those guys certainly didn´t need any convincing...

Before I knew it, it was 8:30am and I was walking back into the hostel in basically my PJs, considering that I had not thought I was going out at all when I left for the plaza. Oops, I did it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment