Thursday 21 April 2011

Getting to know my new hood

After my good fortune with the job situation, I had yet more blessings in that I walked past a cafe near my hostel to find a man jump out and invite me inside...not as dodgy as it sounds, he was the husband of a Spanish couple I met while working at Iguazu. It was nice to sit and talk bad Spanish with people I could understand much easier than those in Argentina. Aye aye aye!! Makes me wanna go to Spain that much more next year... AND the fact I am told Granada has mucho cavallos. Google translate that one if you wish.

So T who works at reception has been super nice to me, she is actually Bulgarian but is married to an Argentine so speaks fluent Spanish and English. I asked her to speak to me in Spanish so I can practice. But she showed me the other hostels, introduced me to people and helped explain what I couldn`t understand. Although the main boss guy has now folded and will actually talk to me slower so I can understand him pretty much now. It`s all about knowing the context...

I was taken through the different areas of the streets nearby, which is the San Telmo area, and told about "the Mexican street" I will most probably get gang raped on, the nice restaurant st where I can get good but expensive food, the main rd, the touristy areas... sabe sabe. Bueno.

So if the reactions of men on the street are anything to go by for the action I may get from BA men here, I am in for a good time. So much for me blending in here... I have seen not one girl with white skin, dreds and blue eyes. Ho hum. Guess I will just have to be that sore thumb for another chapter. Like I will hate that at all.

So I know a little more about my job here... so far, for the first week (or until they find somewhere to put me), my job will consist of ferrying people from hostel to hostel when they have free social events like tonight`s pizza party, encouraging them to drink and spend money basically, gather people for the walking tours (and go on them myself at first I guess!) as well as selling tickets for the bars (which I will now get into for free - BOOM). Still know nothing about pay, but I guess I will ask after a week, when I am absolutely broke.

I have also already gotten in touch with some mates from BA to party this weekend...oh, this Easter this bunny is gonna come a-knockin` on my door with a basketful of eggs. Gotta get that boom boom BOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment