Wednesday 12 January 2011

Solo Camel Girl... with flying colours!!

I am now moving the camels all by myself, given G is out of action following her eye operation. Yesterday I was on Barack and G was walking behind, and I was pushing the 10 camels from one end of the paddock to the other to give them some exercise. Afterwards, she said I did a good job because the camels just would not have moved if they didn't respect me. Hoorah!!

To be honest, I am actually growing quite fond of the camels. They are so funny, I could just sit there watching them all day. Often I go into the yard with them and just play around... they really are so sweet. And after the initial shock, the smell really isn't so bad. Just wouldn't recommend going into the camel yard before a big date...

It was the first time I was doing everything, the American girls having left at Ridiculous O'Clock in the morning (which so happens to also be the time I now have to get up). By the day's end, I was buggered but also satisfied that I'd be able to get it all done without any assistance. Especially the camels, which I can now round up, catch, collar, tie up and release all by my lonesome :) It's just the mucking out (4 camel stables and 9 horse stables) that gets me. But it's good character building stuf!

I am seriously debating buying a camel when I settle in Australia. But I want one of the ones caught from the desert so it's not sent to the abbatoir. But I want a two-hump one, and they don't really exist in Australia except in zoos I'm told. Bahh humbug. Oh well, I am sure I could find one I can love. And it would be a play friend for Issi, my horse.

So that's an old adopted dog, a horse, a camel, a cat and another puppy later on for me and my new home. Looks like I'll be that crazy old spinster living on a hill throwing surplus kittens at unsuspecting visitors... ahh well, someone's gotta do it right??

No comments:

Post a Comment