Saturday 22 January 2011

Seeing Austria through my champers glass

Today brought with it more English and more delicious food... as I sit here typing my stomach is about to burst from eating the leftovers for dinner (there's still some left in the fridge).

I did the morning work in record time (2 hours) - without even meaning to rush! - and thought I'd have a quick nap before being picked up at noon by one of G's friends for lunch and some help with English learning. Seems it wasn't to be, as I found things to keep me busy until I was rushing to change clothes in time to be picked up.

Now, still having not had any nap time, I need to go to my room and try to rest my brain before making it sleep. I've been having a hard time shutting off lately, there is so much going around my head and I am not as exhausted as usual so I can't just pass out anymore. Damn my body regulating to this routine!!

Lunch was awesome, some meat rissoles (I taught E the word "rissole" and it sounded so funny, colloquial English coming from an Austrian), mashed potato, creamy sauce and a variation on the traditional sour potato salad they always seem to serve here. Mmmm.... even with my full stomach my mouth waters at the thought of it.

We went across the st (literally, across the road) to a young boy who was learning English at school and talked with him and helped him with his exercises. After a while, it does start to drain my brain, all this thinking about what I'm saying. I'm not meant to think about what I say!! I'm me!

After that, and a couple of glasses of champagne (sweeeeet), I was driven the scenic route home and tried to stop myself from lapsing into an alcohol-spurred slumber to enjoy the views. We went through lots of little villages, all with their pastel-coloured Austrian houses with little designs around the windows, plantations of Christmas trees and dustings of snow from the last couple of nights. Actually, it was snowing softly this morning when I was feeding, a really light snow that fell ever so slightly onto the ground. My favourite kind.

The scenery really is so stunning here, the area is world heritage listed because it is so pretty and has so many ruins and castles around about. I didn't see any today but we often drive past one... it's like oh, hey, there's another 1000-year old building. Sweet. Next!

On another note, my Spanish friend can't come to Vienna anymore and another friend I had invited just quit her job so I doubt she wants to splash out on a city break... here's to hoping my other mates don't dog it! Oh well, I will just hans solo. I need to sort my visa to Brazil anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment