Thursday 6 January 2011

Day 1 and I'm a zombie

Waking up at 5:30am is hard. Particularly if you're still trying to get over NYE from the day before. So absorbing a mountain of information about how much feed a two-hump camel gets compared to a one-hump was a little difficult.

My job here is basically to look after the animals, but with that comes training in how to deal with camels safely and the best way to work with all the animals at the farm so they all eat and drink enough, and everything goes smoothly.

The moment I stepped outside, I was amid a soft snowfall, ever so pretty in the morning darkness. It helped make things a little easier to digest as I kept staring off into the distance at the sparkly little white balls of fluff.

At times feeling a little woozy from sheer exhaustion (and possibly the stench of camel piss), I eventually got through all the feeding, mucking out, animal handling and cleaning up, and after some breakfast retired to my bedroom. That was about 10am. SIX HOURS LATER I woke again and went out to meet G to go to the equestrian centre where she has her expensive Thoroughbred that she trains in competitive disciplines.

It was FREEZING at the centre but luckily I could sit in a little heated box to watch her get yelled at in German by the showjumping teacher. These places I just can't get... it is really a foreign world to me. The shin pad for one of these horses probably costs as much as my horse in Australia cost.

Then it was off to Melk train station to collect two American helpers who were coming for a week. I was excited as it meant I had younger company and also some help at least for a week! They turned out to be lovely girls, both from California, and we became friends instantly.

Bed time couldn't come sooner but instead of falling straight asleep, my body decided to toss me around the creaky bed for a while, I think because of my extra long sleep in the middle of the day. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment