Wednesday 5 January 2011

The most intense sausage ever

To say my bus ride to Vienna was enjoyable would not be entirely true... I was running for mayor of Struggle Town after NYE and it was a blessing that I was able to stretch out on 2 seats and try to sleep during the 5 hour journey. And occasionally I would peek out the window at the changing landscape, still covered in snow but now getting noticeably more high brow.

Landing just outside the city centre, I was helped by some German girls to the main train station and stupidly wandered around helplessly trying to find it before asking someone and getting pointed to the rather large building opposite the local train station with WESTBAHNOF printed in equally obvious letters above the door. Ahem.

About an hour later, I arrived in Melk, a town I assumed to be just like the other Help X places - completely remote and isolated. How wrong I was, I thought, as I strode down to the town centre and saw the massive Stift Melk (monastry) that overlooks everything. What a magnificent building. As before, photos will come... apologies for the delay.

I had to wait an hour and a half for my new host to pick me up, so I went to the cafe and ordered some kind of sausage from the German menu. The waitress didn't speak much English so I took my chances. The plate arrived and on it were two giant weiner sausages, split down the middle with cheese melted into them, and wrapped in bacon. Plus sides. Not gonna lie, I was scared.

So after tackling the mountain of sausage in my hungover state, I met my new host G and we went to her camel farm. There, I met the camels (so funny!!) and she showed me around a little. Altogether, there are 10 camels, 10 horses, a bunch of wild sheep and deer, 3 ostriches, 2 cats, guinea pigs, rabbits and her mum's dog. So, plenty to keep me occupied :)

I was pretty tired so I went to bed as soon as I could... Unfortunately sleep didn't come as easily, given I was actually in a bed with a blanket and not on a floor with my jumped laid on top of me, but eventually I dozed off. Then came my alarm at 5:30am...

No comments:

Post a Comment