Sunday 23 January 2011

Rock solid cold

The cold weather has well n truly returned, this time bringing with it an icecold wind to really dig deep into my warm layers of clothing. Fun times. I have conveniently misplaced my scarf and warm beanie hat so I just had to shrug my shoulder deeper into my jacket and pull my hoodie around my neck.

The water has gone back to freezing in the horses' boxes so that's more work for me, making sure they have enuf to drink. But I can't leave the hose out because that too freezes up and I can't fill up the water bucket. The ground has also turned rock solid underfoot, so while it's not so slippery, riding is harder on the horses' hooves and the camels - already lazy - are even less inclined to move their asses when I try to exercise them.

Today I had the "help" of one of the younger students, who is a nice Austrian girl of about 13 but actually, when it comes down to it, pretty useless at moving the camels. So while I was relying on her to help keep things in check, I soon realised I would have to do it myself. Oh well, luckily G didn't make us try for too long. I would like to keep my voice intact, for now.

There are 10 more days until this British bird apparently comes to help at the farm for a month. It will be nice having someone younger to hang out with and also the help! But with me here alone I don't get asked to do too much in between the stable work, so it's pretty chilled. Maybe with another person G will start amping up the workload again. Urgh!!

Though, to be fair, I do enjoy working for G because she appreciates the work I do and tries to thank me often for it. I don't feel she overworks me and I know if it's too much I can just tell her, and she'll organise someone to come and help me or do a shift instead of me for a day or two. She consistently says she is glad I stayed, and I am glad too, but I feel a little bad that I had to be paid to stay. But it was the only way. I'd be heading to the brats in Bratislava if it'd gone any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment