Monday 17 January 2011

Road trip to Vienna... and we end up at the circus!

Another cloudless day. It is just beautiful, I can't believe it. Well, I can believe it is beautiful because this is Austria but I can't believe this weather!! Global warming on our doorstep hey. I am walking around in a hoodie and just soaking up the sunshine (obviously not at this moment as I type on the laptop!)... how's the serenity.

I woke to a slightly chilled morning, and when I walked out I was met with the glittery sparkle of a freshly frosted driveway and grass. So lovely! And you know how much I like glitter...

Was meant to book my flights to South America today but I haven't heard from the agent. She is super busy and I know the flights are confirmed, so I am in no rush. I did have to call London today, however, to check up on the everlasting saga that is my tax. Urgh! Worst company ever. I am now waiting on a call from them hopefully telling me how much I am going to receive from their fuck-up with my tax code in 2009/10 and the small amount of the year I worked in 2010/2011.

Yesterday G and I went to Vienna so she could meet some friends and I could do some sighsteeing. Beforehand, we visited her mare at the fancy pants equestrian centre and I took my Spanish to study. While I was learning all the prepositions, I avoided eye contact with the skin crawly riding teacher that apparently goes for the young'uns (his gf is about half his age) and soaked up the freaky winter sunshine.

Plans changed en route to Vienna and G ended up cancelling the original meeting with her friend and opting instead to take me to see her friends at their family circus. It was great fun, they had camels, horses, ponies, goats and acrobatic tricks. Not the highest standard but a bit of fun for the kids on a Sunday, and such a great family atmosphere with every mother, father and daughter popping behind the popcorn stand or selling glow sticks after each act.

We then whizzed over to catch her old acting friend's movie as part of an independent film festival at the local cinema. I received a pair of raised eyebrows when I said I wanted to come in and watch it, because it would be in German (hey, the musical in Germany fun!) but when I said I'd go walking instead her friend (also a factory worker and with a small part in the film) bought me a ticket without asking and I was in.

It was interesting, a couple of them were good but others were just so so... I could understand pretty much all the storylines because they were either in English, silent or simple storylines. Acting was pretty dismal at times but hey, that's independent cinema for you!! The actors afterwards met all my expectations, and none of them particularly positive. I was glad when we got out of there.

G then drove me into the centre of town - Vienna, such a GORGEOUS town - and we looked at the stunning opera house before going to the most exclusive hotel in Vienna for a hot chocolate and cake. Not going to lie, it was pretty fine.

Kept myself awake for the drive home in case G fell asleep at the wheel, and made myself content with cake for dinner so I could sleep asap. At least the morning wasn't too cold to wake up to!

No comments:

Post a Comment