Tuesday 22 March 2011

Tragedy at Iguazu Falls

Some bad news hit our desks yesterday that turned the mood a little somber. Reports surfaced that one of the speedboats - the same one I had ridden in just a few days earlier - had gotten too close to the waterfalls and gotten sucked in after hitting some rocks, capsizing and throwing all its passengers out in the process. Two people were killed and several more were missing... updates now tell me the others were all found alive but injured.

I must admit, when I was on the boat I wasn`t scared at all, but when I think about it, the water is so powerful and we get so close to the actual falls that it is entirely possible something like this could happen. No amount of driving experience could match the force of that river.

We aren´t sure if the victims were staying at this hostel - entirely possible - but until we know, I am trying not to think about it. So so sad.

Other than that, yesterday included a pretty hideous start to the day after just 3 hours sleep. I had stumbled in to my room at the staff house, the first time I had been there the same time as my roomie, and the poor darling had to wake up and set his alarm for me to wake up as I had left mine in the hostel.

After work, I sat by the pool and tried to sleep before surrendering to the insects crawling through the grass, and bailing to the guys´ staff dorm at the hostel. Then dinner and drinks with the staff were organising and we headed to my house. Was so glad we were there this time instead of the hostel so I could just fall asleep afterwards... and oh, how I needed the sleep. Soooooooooooo tired.

Just a side note on the staff here. So funny... they are all local except for me, a British guy working here until he gets a new passport (his was nicked in Buenos Aires) and a French guy who is quite hot but soooo French. Freely admits he doesn`t like speaking English or really anyone who does... haha... but he is a nice guy really, cocky and self-assured but a good guy. The others speak varying degrees of English but mostly speak in Spanish which is good, as I am learning more every day. Yay!

Today is my day off so I used the opportunity to go to the 3 Frontiers, basically just a bus stop near the edge of the river that has 3 pillars for Argentina, Brazil and Paraguay. Cool thing to see but not much else. I went there with a couple of American guys from the hostel - one which had done pretty much the same route as me since Eastern Europe last year!! - then got a local SIM card and back to the hostel for some down time.

No comments:

Post a Comment