Thursday 3 March 2011

Sweat... my old friend (or enemy??)

Sweat. It has returned to my life. As much as I bitched about the cold of the European winter, at least I didn´t sweat. BUT, alles gut, and I will certainly not start to complain about Brazil when I just got here.

After posting yesterday, I took the dog for a walk (crazy fucker that it is)and sorted myself out at the beautician (Brazilian in Brazil, anyone?? haha still not old) before returning to the hotel and its rooftop pool. I´ll be squeezing every last drop from this free 4-star ride, you got that right. It is so nice just to have a room to myself with a big queen bed.

The rooftop had a cool view of Rio but unfortunately was situated right next to a building site so along with the pigeons, I had an audience of Brazilian builders. Ahh well. Good for the ego I guess. This place is gonna be good for that, at least. I certainly had to put F back in his place later in the night when he tried his luck. But more on that later.

I went back to the room for a quick kip, which turned into a 5-hour slumber that went right through the time I´d promised to be at F´s for dinner. Oops. So I ran over late and had a delicious soup (the boy can cook) as well as some capirinhas and beers. Things got a little too close for comfort when F was giving me a massage so I had to make the lines a little more definite, and ensure I would have no midnight visitors in my bed during my Carnival Couchsurf.

And I guess I got a taste of what the Brazilians will be like when the parties start. The old "can´t blame a guy for trying" seemed to be the way he was rolling, fine with me as long as the trying stops now. He is a nice guy and very generous with his apartment (and he has a cute dog!) so I would enjoy being friends with him. And getting the ego boost that he thinks I`m awesome and "stand out in a crowd". Well, I sure hope I do, he´s gotta find me some way when I dash off to go dance on a podium or something.

Small hints of Carnival are starting to appear on the street, little stalls with glittery masks and feathered hats, and about twice as many people as yesterday. I almost thought I would have less breakfast to choose from this morning cos the room was so much fuller. Alas, they must´ve known I was coming. Can´t wait to get to the beach when it´s sunny.

Should head out to the botanical gardens soon, F suggested it as a place to chill today despite the on-off rain. Apparently good weather is due to return for the weekend - just in time for the parties! Well, regardless it would be good to see some more of the city via the bus. And I wonder how many more people I can offend by speaking Spanish to today.

No comments:

Post a Comment