Tuesday 1 February 2011

Free hotel, private airport transfer in Rio? I'll take that!

So it seems an oversight by my travel agent has turned out rather well for little ol' gypsy traveler here... by incorrectly booking my flight and having to move it 2 days earlier, I have now been given 2 nights accomm in Rio and could cancel my original Vienna - London flight so she could rebook another one, thereby getting back a small refund on my ticket.

And it gets better. My Couchsurfing friend in Rio - who I dared not ask to stay a FURTHER 2 nights on the already-generous 10 he committed to during Carnival - suggested a hotel near his place and I forwarded that onto my agent, not really knowing much about it. At the same time, I asked if it was possible to get a hotel transfer from the airport as I get in late (and on my lonesome, with an inconveniently heavy backpack in tow). She came back saying none of it was a problem, and she'd book me a private transfer as well.

I then Googled said hotel and found it was 4 stars, and the price I would've paid for those 2 nights is about 265 euros. Sheizer!! So that's pretty snazzy. Just hope I don't spend too much more in those extra days on food etc than I would've at the camel farm. Speaking of food at the camel farm, last night I had knödel, a traditional Austrian potato dumpling... mmm mmmmm so tasty!! Had the leftover 1 for lunch today.

The weather today continued to be ball-freezing, I tried to stay indoors as much as possible but it was hard because every time I was outside I'd find more things that needed doing. Such is life! G was busy running around, more stressed than usual because this is her last day before going away for 10 days. So I just did my thing and kept out of her way, on the times she was actually here.

The morning was pretty hectic, though, and I ended up having breakfast 4 hours after I got up. Late for the amount of energy I exude until that time.

I had to exercise the camels before their big break... now horseriding G doesn't usually count as work, more play, but today I tell ya it was WORK! The lazy fuckers didn't want to move more than a walk, but I gotta be honest, my joints were also beginning to freeze up with the cold. G went off to do other things and I swear she forgot about me out there, because I ended up having to call her and ask her to come back to help me move the camels back almost an hour later as my chin, toes and thighs had gone numb.

Was thinking I was alone for Vienna, but my old school friend says she's still in... this is a good sign. Very good. Considering the tomfoolery - oh, the tomfoolery! - we used to get up to back in the day...

No comments:

Post a Comment