Sunday 7 November 2010

Awkward and amusing times in Eastern Europe

Whoever thought I'd never have use for my limited Romanian language skills can eat their bilingual words, motherfucker! Well, actually, that would include myself too but anyway... I could not stop laughing at what happened last night.

Arriving at Nyugati train station, I first had to shake a random but sweet Hungarian guy who asked if I needed any help. Although I know he was just trying to be friendly, he made things a little awkward when he said 'oh Sydney... I knew a girl from Sydney. But she died.' Hmm... what do you say to that??

Anyway, afterwards I was directed to the pub I always meet my English teaching friend at in Budapest, and went to ask a cute boy and his friend sitting on the steps which way to go... after hearing him say 'no inteleg' ('don't understand' in Romanian), I said 'ah ha! you're Romanian!' and proceeded to ask him how to get there in Romanian. There were slightly miffed as to why an English-speaking person knew any Romanian, and even more miffed as to which direction I was after, so I just laughed my ass off and found directions from someone other local. Seriously, who would've thought I'd EVER need that random skill again??! Too funny.

So then I met my friend E at the pub, had a couple of beers (sweet, sweet beer) and headed back to his for a few more and a smoke that put me on my ass. I was tired from all the traveling and fell asleep before my head hit the pillow. What a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment