Monday 29 November 2010

Giving thanks for turkeys and fireworks

So because 2 of us teachers are from the States, come Thursday we had to celebrate a little tradition they like to call Thanksgiving. We ordered a massive turkey - and I mean massive - which didn´t come til after 6pm. And this thing would not be cooked for at least 5 1/2 hours... so what else to do but drink the time away???

Well, I did actually find something else to do. I had organised with some of my students from a previous teaching week to go to town and do some sightseeing, so I met 4 of them while the others went back to the apartment to rest and prepare dinner. The weather was nice n sunny, although still cooooooooooooold, and I got to see the city from the castle hill, the Presidential Palace and some other cool statues.

Luckily, earlier in the day me and the other teachers had found a fireworks store and picked up some supplies before heading home so we had plenty to amuse ourselves with back at the apartment. I bet the neighbours were pleased.

At about midnight, we got sick of waiting and brought the turkey out to eat what was cooked. After devouring some tasty meat, me and teacher with gf were left to our own devices and of course within 5 minutes had let off a firework INSIDE the apartment and had an oil spill from the oven to the kitchen floor. T cleaned the burn marks off the walls and floor, and I was on my knees dealing with the oil. Fun times.

Before I knew it, it was 2:30am and I remembered that I had school the next day. But, thank god, only one more day of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment