Tuesday 9 November 2010

Oi stoner, kick that ball!

Those that know me know that I've not been the biggest fan of teenagers, or kids, in my life so this whole teaching English thing is a real test to myself. And it's been interesting so far.

As I wrote in this very blog, the first day was a bit of getting to know everyone, and I don't exactly know how well I did... so after my classes yesterday I was determined to be a little more organised so as to avoid talking so much in every class. Discussion is one thing, talking while everyone stares blankly or falls asleep is another.

So today I focused on tattoos, thinking it would be a cool theme to do. Of course people asked me where I had tattoos, as well as how many piercings I had and where they were (details of which I tended to be fuzzy)... but I resisted the urge to take off my clothes to show them (I must be growing up) and maintained some dignity... as their grown-up teacher. Which is funny, considering I am merely 7 years older than some of them. That age gap has not been much of an issue for me in the past...

Anyway, by day's end I was sick of the classroom and the stoner in the back trying to nap on the desk was giving me the shits, so we went outside. I had a couple of American footballs with me so tried to teach them 'over and under', a game I used to play in primary school. Thinking I was keeping it simple because I was talking in English, it actually turned out to be a poor choice of game and before we even got started, kids were refusing to take part. So I just said, 'Fuck it, do what you want then - NO, THAT DOES NOT MEAN SMOKE!'

I learnt that the cute pinkeye guy is actually 19 - that could be interesting. I should stop having these thoughts.

Tomorrow I swap and go to the other school to teach their kids. Just repeat my lessons I guess. Lazy ass shit that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment