Tuesday 9 November 2010

First day of school...and I'm still alive

So yesterday was my first as an English teacher, and I'm not quite sure what these kids thought of me. Perhaps that I was boring, that I talked too much, that I had activities that were unentertaining. To be honest, I didn't even have a lesson plan so I am glad I made it out of there alive.

I ask my fellow teachers (of which there are 3 others) for information about what to do and get half an answer before I'm distracted by beer, weed, food or another more interesting conversation. So I am kinda on my own here... but as I usually do, I just winged it and somehow made it through. I wasn't really even nervous, although I noticed the guy who runs this thing was shaking in his boots. Is it because I'm too confident, or maybe I don't care, or perhaps I just have no idea about anything so this ain't no different...?? Either way, I guess it was good that I wasn't shaking because kids notice these things.

The weather turned from glorious in Budapest to shitty and rainy in Bratislava. And it looks like being rainy all week, which will ensure some lovely moods. To be fair, most of the kids are fine (one I call ‘Pink Eye’ but he can speak decent English and is kinda cute, minus pink eye) but of course we have a couple of them that don't do any work and another (I've named him 'Serbia') with I think ADHD... but all in all, I guess it could've been worse.

I am currently researching embarrassing and misspelt tattoos for my next class and figuring out which outfit I can wear that will be easy to show my tattoos if necessary. Pullin' out all the stops here...

No comments:

Post a Comment