Monday 29 November 2010

Pub crawls and almost-brawls

I arrived in Munich at 5am on Saturday, half an hour before scheduled, and even more worried that this would mean no public transport had started yet. But if there´s one thing I can safely say about the Germans is that they are efficient. And by 5am the trains were indeed running, in fact I don´t know if they ever even stopped!

I made friends with a couple from Tasmania who were traveling through, and we jumped on the train to the city. After some initial wrong turns and some helpful directions from a hot German lady bored at her desk, I finally made it to the hostel I´d booked one of those drunken nights in Bratislava, thinking I´d at least be able to shower n shit before having to check out again.

I had a couple of hours sleep max, woke n showered etc, and wandered to the super expensive internet cafe to get in touch with my mate T who´d come over from Souf London with 3 mates for a city break. After some hiccups in meeting, we finally found each other and pretty much headed to one of the many beer halls for some steins.

His mates happened upon us at one of these pubs and we continued to drink. I was already spacing out in the toilets before we even had dinner so I paced myself and made sure I was OK before heading downstairs at the hostel for the beer crawl. I, at this stage, had had a spare bed put into the boys´ hostel room so I was shacking up with them for the night.

Downstairs, we were told the bar crawl would not be happening because the guide wasn´t coming so I decided I would be the guide. I gathered a bunch of people drinking at the bar - some from England, Scotland, America etc - and we set off to another beer hall. A minor hiccup on the way, however, when one American dickhead said "pub crawls are so lame" or something. And when one of my mates rightly observed it was much more enjoyable than standing outside in his shorts and flip flops smoking a cigarette. To which the American arked up and tried to start a fight.

I, fearing my much-organised efforts for a pub crawl would be wasted if a fight broke out before it even started, got immediately in the face of this wanker and managed to get struck by one of his flailing arms. Crying hurt, I managed to get everyone on my side and rightly label this loser an absolute waste of space, and somehow dragged everyone off to enjoy themselves elsewhere. Phew.

A few more beers, a cab ride, a visit to the Hard Rock Cafe bar and we were back on our way to the hostel bar which by this stage was rammed. I was flitting about here n there, in fine form if I do say so myself, and by night´s end had many of the guys eating out of the palm of my hand. Just when I was starting worry my bruised ego would never repair itself... I love Germany :)

No comments:

Post a Comment