Monday 25 October 2010

Hitting the Help X jackpot

On the road again and it was a quick return to me stressing out in the backseat with dad drifting ever-closer to the middle of the autobarn and massive trucks kept beeping to move us over. Of course, he instead took my horror as an insult to his perfect driving skills and henceforth I was the rude little child in the back. Not to worry, I thought, only a few more hours before we part and I can breathe again. I love my dad but sometimes... And it's not like his wife wouldn't have wanted to see the back of me – she always needs to bite her tongue because it's her husband's child and her husband's wallet but I know she thinks we're all little brats. It's not my fault her children never step out of line. Except the one I once ran into at a rave... tut tut.

Moving on... We got to see some lovely Italian countryside and as we headed deeper into Tuscan territory I could see the delight spread across dad's face. Not wanting to stress out and try to get too much in, we took out time with lunch and then ended up having barely enuf time to get to Cortona and no time at all for Montepulciano. It was OK though, because Cortona is a beautiful place to visit at the very least. It was built on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Tuscan valleys, and has all the streets leading to one central piazza. The streets are narrow and cobbled, really cute! There were some stupidly overpriced art galleries there that I saw some nice artwork in but alas...

We found we were running fairly behind schedule for our arrival to Orte so we stepped on it and I rang M to tell her we were going to be late. She sounded non-plussed about it all so I relaxed and rolled along with the countryside and dad's drifting steering wheel until we reach what I thought was going to be the little 3-street town of Orte. Turns out the old part of the town is also on a clifftop, a magnificent sight to see as we drove past down some back streets, and seemingly from medieval times. Looking forward to checking that little puppy out someday soon.

We pull into the driveway and wind our way up to a big, red towered villa at the top of the road and I slowly take a breathe out. Have I hit the jackpot here? Very nearly possibly. It was all smiles from my new hosts as they stood smiling and waiting (by chance) at the top of the driveway. I peeked over their shoulders at the view of the Tuscan valley down below as the warm afternoon sun kissed my cheeks and I took off my heavy jacket. I knew I'd be in for a much more comfortable 2 weeks at this joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment