Saturday 19 November 2011

Tropical = torrential

Woke up a bit tired today, after my busy day off yesterday. Surprisingly, my arms didn't hurt from the kayaking which either means I didn't try hard enuf or I am now used to using my muscles. Which is new. Haha...

I took just one ride out today, a French-Canadian on a one-hour tour. To my delight, she displayed neither stereotypical traits of French or Canadian and tipped me nicely at the end. I was on Chico, boss' orders, and he was fine on trail until we hit the water. Played about with me, rearing and trying to escape out onto the beach, at one point even sitting down in the water (thoroughly soaking me) then springing out in a nice rear action. Was an interesting ride but enjoyable all the same.

There was another ride in the afternoon which J took - 2 people I can only assume were father and son, the son part a cowboy-in-waiting with his cowboy hat and gun-ho! attitude. I told them I wanted to hear "Yee-ha!!" from the top of the mountain - and so I did haha

Am yet to do a day's work here with no rides at all, most probably that will happen one Sunday. But it's good, I usually get put on the rides when they come in - I'd like to think that's because I'm good at guiding, most likely it's because they prefer to keep the men on the ground doing the hard work. Either way, it works for me.

Today was officially the end of my one-month working here, so I was paid the rest of my salary. Am trying to figure out a way to transfer the cash I'm paid into my Aussie account so I can use my credit card online and pay it back using money from the Aus account. Because at the moment, there isn't enuf in there to pay for tickets to St Thomas or buy some of the other things I'm wanting to.

Didn't hear from A today :( Didn't like that feeling. I know it's only a day but I so look forward to getting his messages. I hope it was due to an internet fault at his end, but I just have a funny feeling he didn't want to write to me for some reason. I just feel it in my stomach. Probably just paranoid. Argh, this distance thing is harder than I thought it would ever be.

Good news is that work is slow tomorrow for a cruise day, so I managed to get a late start and can fit in a morning kayak with the girls (2 others that work at Seaside - we joke that we're the "Seaside Angels" with paddles as guns). Not sure how often I will be able to do that but I thought I'd take the chance while I had it.

Stuck around a bit after work, just chilling with R and A.Talking about impregnating horses as one is about to drop (hopefully before or after his family goes on holidays!), was interesting to hear why he chooses to breed certain horses from his pack. Then we talked about dogs... made me miss having one. One day, when I settle down... one day.

Went home to find I needed to do my weekly my grocery shop so I grabbed my bag (save the earth, like I'm the only one here who cares) and got on my way. In the store, I heard what I thought were raindrops on the tin roof... sure enuf, I looked out and it was PELTING down. So I had to wait for a lull, even though I live just around the corner. Seriously, it was hard rain. Gotta love living on a tropical island.

No comments:

Post a Comment