Tuesday 15 November 2011

At the beach with no swimmers

Hooray for Sundays off! The place is so dead here, it's like time goes backwards when you're working. Guide I was working (our schedules clash often cos when I'm off, he's covering me) so he couldn't take me to the little island on the French side, a bummer but I've organised to do something with L on my second day off tomorrow so hopefully I'll see some cool sights on the island.

Started my day with a trip to Seaside for a scheduled Skype date with A, hoping the usual ill-timed internet connection problems didn't stand in my way. Not this time, happily, although at his end I think something was up - I waited almost an hour and never saw him pop up online. A shame as I was really looking forward to hearing his voice, having found the extra photos I brought with me of him, but hopefully tomorrow we will connect. I await an angry, frustrated message from him next time I check my inbox haha.

Instead I took myself to Mullet Bay (I swear I only go there for the name), after some housework. Waiting for the bus outside a church and it being a Sunday, I was privy to one of the gospels as preached by a local. Only really half-listening and catching every few words, I did hear something about the Lord looking down on vanity... at that very moment a souped-up old VW roared around the corner with a crass mural emblazoned across the bonnet and "The Son of God" banner across the windshield. I muffled a giggle.

My bus driver was on the mission from hell to get us to Mullet Bay in 2 mins, racing down the road and skidding to a stop as he almost went past someone wanting to board. I had been wondering how he'd see his passengers on the side of the road... asshole resisted giving me directions to the beach as he threw me off at the end of the route, mumbling something about "that way". I ended up having to ask a young couple, the lady recognising me as a horse guide and asking how I was. It was a semi-awkward moment as I clearly was a little confused as to who she was...

Walking to the beach, I came to the realisation that I'd forgotten to change my underwear to swimmer bottoms and I couldn't go into the water - my underwear that day being white French knickers. Now before you go thinking I was being all sexy trying to attract the guys, I wear the lacy underwear in the day because the non-holey stuf I need to keep my ass from being bitten by mozzies in the hot night. Now who's sexy???

So Mullet Bay was just a sunbaking excursion for me. Ho hum. The water looked sooooo nice. I fell asleep a little, read my book and bought a wide-brimmed hat from a beach seller (probably a little too late) to protect my precious white skin. Struck up a conversation with some older, leather-skinned American tourists - which is really the majority of customers at the beach in St Maarten - who said they were interested in coming horseriding sometime soon. Always drumming up business!

Went home early enuf to get in a swim at Seaside once I'd gotten my swimmer bottoms, but when I got there it clouded over and I felt I'd be cold in the water so I didn't go in. A got a lift down the road by a local who asked if he should wait and we could go smoke together somewhere - I pointed out clearly I had a boyfriend and stopped short of saying "and besides that, if I WAS single, I would in NO way be interested in you - you're twice my age!" No friggin way.

Arranged to go to La Bamba for a couple of drinks tonight with the work guys, so took in my washing (dry after just a few hours) and waited. And waited. Tried to fix my iPhone with some program from the net, to no avail... so I waited. Finally they arrived, only one was keen to go as the others had way more important dates... So we went.

I and I went to Buccaneers for some dinner (me a salad, very sensible) and then to watch a band that my friend knew. Turned out to be a cover band, of every average variety available... I was thoroughly unentertained, while I was happy he'd seen his friends play and (not to my knowledge) was about to get up and do a song on drums when I said it was time to go. On the walk back we ran into his sister's bf so he got a lift home, mentioning playing with the band and making me feel bad I'd made him leave so early! As soon as I'd shared his joint, I was tired, what can I say?!

Was nice to finally chill with I though, he is a nice guy, like my little brother although he does throw in the odd comment about how nice I look and how lucky my boyfriend is (well, lucky that he has me, unlucky that I'm on the other side of the world)... No chance there but it is nice to be admired respectfully on occasion. It's all I got right now, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment