Tuesday 8 November 2011

Too darn hot

All I can say about today is that I'm glad it's over. The heat I endured - oh the humidity - it was something else. I sweated from the moment I woke up (in all probability, before I woke as well) until the moment I pushed my door open at home. It was like a continuous sauna I couldn't escape from.

And to make matters worse, it was my first Sunday working and boy was it quiet. We did have one ride, locals who didn't tip (again), but that was pointless because I didn't even get to cool down in the water. The fuckers didn't want to go in!! Oh, what's the point in living!

There were a couple of moments I felt a little faint, just kept refilling my water and getting fresh ice from the bar... I didn't know what else to do. I am glad D was there actually, as much as he annoys me with his endless rambling and sometime attempts at flirting - quashed immediately, might I add - because he did most of the work. I just stumbled around looking red and bloated, and complaining a lot. I thought I left the Brit at home!

Borrowed an extension lead for the ancient washing machine at home, since the one there went walkabout - a fact I only realised AFTER filling the machine with water (done manually, technology cerca 1961). Excellent.

Had a moment of sunshine in my sweat-storm when I happened upon a lovely young gentleman online during my lunch break. Yay! Happy Skype times with him... god, I miss him. Tried not to cry in front of everyone but last night was harder than I thought. Geez, it's only been 3 weeks! Does it get easier??

Succeeded in getting my day off moved from Tuesday to tomorrow so I could just RELAX and get some housework done, maybe lie on the beach or swim in the hotel pool if J is still there. I just could not hack another day in that heat!

Almost ran home in an attempt to beat the oncoming storm that was lighting up the skies, although it never really hit, just a bit of rain. But damned if I'm gonna ruin my laptop - it's my only connection to the outside world!

I's sister R (who also works with me) was meant to pick me up at 7 to go to a concert for local artists but didn't show til 8:30 - typical Caribbean time - but by that stage I had already fallen asleep waiting for her and was just about to cook some dinner as I thought she wasn't coming. I was tempted to say, don't worry I'll just stay here but I knew she'd gone out of her way to get me.

The concert was low-key, in the main beach area of Philipsburg, an initiative by a local rasta man to give up-and-coming artists a chance to perform. Being late, I missed I's band which he was a bit annoyed about but hopefully another time will come. He keeps telling everyone I'm an amazing singer (low standards haha) so I half expect to be ON stage with them next time around.

It was a really rastafari event, with most artists singing about it and most of the crowd sporting long locks. Even R's 2 kids (she's younger than me, but everyone has kids here young) wore locks. My parents would've loved that. Their parents were at the front swaying thier locks to the music, eyes closed amid the wafting weed smoke. I must admit I felt like a bit of a traitor, being just a "fashion rasta" n all... but no one seemed to mind, or notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment