Friday 11 November 2011

Dancing (or riding) in the moonlight

Today more than made up for yesterday. Not only did I get great tips, but I actually enjoyed all 3 rides I went on. The first was 2 women minus their husbands, going for a one-hour ride just to try something different, and they loved it. One of them even gave me a thank-you hug afterwards, which I thought was sweet. One of the 7-year-olds I took the other day did that as well. Unexpected but always nice.

Kinda fell off my horse today, well more fell OVER it, as I tried to get on dripping wet with 4 shoes in my hands. On the young horse I'm training as a guide horse. Didn't go as planned and I shot straight over the other side of the beast, ride in front of the guests. Well professional. A man waiting for a ride came over and held the shoes so I could get on properly. D'oh!

When I came to meet my next ride, I was told to be on my best behaviour (didn't tell boss about the earlier mishap) because these people were sent by a cruise ship to check out the ride, so they could decide if they should offer it to their passengers. A big coup, as they carry several thousand a turn.

I was pointed to - you guessed it - the very man who had witnessed and helped my ordeal with the shoes. D'oh x2!! Luckily they were a good-natured couple and soon enuf we were laughing and chatting easily. The 2-hour ride was fun, they seemed to really enjoy themselves and by the end, after the swim, they were raving about how they loved it and it was the highlight of their whole cruise. The woman even admitted she wasn't so sure about the ride or the water but the whole thing was awesome. Wonder if I get a bonus if that ship signs on with us??

My third and final ride - one after the other, with no lunch break - was a private ride with one woman. She said she was intermediate but was really quite a good rider, so I enjoyed having some runs and nice conversation with her. She also raved about how much she loved the ride, even during it, gave me a healthy tip and suggested herself that she'd write good things on TripAdvisor. Which should help dismiss the shitty review someone gave to us the other day. Not my ride, by the way.

Had our weekly lesson that night, but of course it being St Maarten we had to do it in the dark as there was an island-wide power cut just before we began. So, bathed in the moonlight and with no noise pollution for once, we rode. Seductor was pretty calm (as was I, those couple of beers must have helped), we just walked through the whole thing, and I felt good about it except that some of the exercises he simply can't grasp because he's only just begun being trained. Bless him, he gets so confused (must admit, so do I sometimes - they teach things a little different here!).

So I came home, had a shower by the light of my mobile and wrote my blog with the rest of my laptop battery, hoping that the charger kicks in at the random hour the electricity does as well (with my fan, HOPEFULLY - sweaty night ahead). Have started to peel, which is attractive, and also continue to sweat off my sunscreen and get burnt on my nose and less noticeably on my lower arms and legs. Getting a nice truckers arm and Croc mark on my foot, looks like I'm wearing white sockettes every day (gross, so early 90s).

Had a funny response from my sister in an email I wrote to her about her ill-fated relationship, which - while the content wasn't funny - ended with a question of, "Are you pregnant?" Man, if I had a penny for every time I was asked that by my family! Like every bit of news I have to tell them is that I'm up the duff. Geez.

No comments:

Post a Comment