Monday 2 August 2010

Riding Alone: When I push the boundaries

The day before I was due to join the others on their multi-day horse trek, I took out this grey who hasn't been ridden much cos she has a cough when she runs a bit. But I thought I'd give her a go and decided that that day, of all days, in the wind, by myself, I should go up through the backyard to try and find or create a new path into the bush from H's house. Dear god was that a mistake. I found a path alright, but it was steep steep steep - not normally a challenge for me but when the horse is neighing to kingdom come for her friends downstairs and its wet n slippery and there's not much room for error... well, I got halfway up and she balked, started refusing to move, neighing etc and i could just see her placing 1 feet outta line and BAM down i go with her tumbling after. No thanks.

So I got off and tried to lead her up. A couple of steps in and i'm stumbling myself, she tried to turn back and slips onto her ass and literally slides down the hill in a upright sitting position (bit funny but also scary considering I could've been stuck in a stirrup underneath her). So she ran. And I let her. Then I had to slowly make my own way down with Bertus and ended up coming out in someone's backyard, and walking around to the house. The gypsies just stared at me in confusion - it was too hard to explain in charades that I hadn't fallen off so I just laughed and shrugged at them. When I got back, the horse was at the trough eating hay. Bless.

I untangled her (amazingly unbroken) reins, jumped back on and went for a ride around the village. She's a goey little thing, didn't cough too much and I was able to get her moving easily and get some exercise into her. The villagers must've thought I was crazy, bolting up and down the streets around town. haha... but it was all under control. Fun times tho! I must ride her again..

No comments:

Post a Comment