Monday 2 August 2010

First the gypos, now the shepherds

Just when I thought I'd experienced enuf of the "locals" by hanging with the gypsies, H throws us another curveball and sends the horse trek via a shepherds station to spend the night. I arrived with M with the supplies, as I hadn't joined the trail yet, and we got to work quickly on setting up tents. Worked out soon after that what I thought had been packed had indeed not been packed. Never trust a gypo to pack your things.

For dinner, they threw a freshly slaughtered lamb (minus head and guts, luckily) onto our soon-to-be dinner table and the men got to work sorting out the cuts. I just hate the sound of spines breaking. Shudder. Not sure why they even bothered with the design of the cuts, they ended up being thrown into one big bowl to cook in a soup over the fire anyway. I wasn't sure what part I had gotten in my bowl and the smell of slaughtered lamb was still a little fresh in my nostrils, so I didn't eat much. Lucky, the next day I was a litttttle uneasy in the stomach but it could've been much worse.

The guests were still grating on me. Particularly one of them. We all agree, now he's left, that he definitely had a screw loose somewhere. Like god had forgotten to signpost the roads when he made his highway of life. And the funniest thing is, this guy looks after children for a living!

The next day we rode to another village, didn't get too lost (probably because I wasn't leading) and I got my fave horse Goody back :) He was very tired, as the day before they'd unintentionally ridden for 12 hours because they got lost. Hell, I know that feeling. We were put up in the pension of a pastor, his wife and adorable little boy (who flicked between Romanian, Hungarian and German when talking), fed lovely food and enjoyed good conversation with these people who were just so nice. On such a remark to H, I was told they really overcharged for their pension. Ha! You just never know...

I had a good sleep, was gone before E even entered the room, and yet still woke up really early when it was still dark and thought there was a black dog in the bed next to me instead of a Swedish girl. I swear I do that EVERY night. It's really weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment