Monday 16 August 2010

Horse stumbles, she stumbles...

Today was the most hellish yet here. So far I've enjoyed a pretty good run of 'work', doing things I wouldn't consider work and enjoying a kinda relaxed lifestyle surrounded by horses and dogs.

This morning I got to breakfast to find the poor family cat, at 18 years of age, has finally been attacked by the dogs (the young ones though, no respect) and has been fighting for her life all day. She's still hanging in there and can now move her back legs slightly but isn't eating so I don't know how well she'll do in the coming days :(

The dogs were being general pests today, doing everything they weren't supposed to and attacking more than usual. I was exhausted by the time I was asked to help with getting grass so you can imagine how much I jumped for joy when we had to do it in the searing heat. There's just something magical about having no hands to swipe away biting insects while a pitchfork of grass and nettles hangs precariously above your head as you try to throw it on the trailer... isn't there?

So then there was more hay in the field to collect, which I successfully dodged because I couldn't find anything to help with (fell asleep in the front seat of the car, bet the others loved me) and then to put in the shed. I am SICK of hay. I hate it. I hate the sight of it, I hate the smell of it, I hate the feel of it, I HATE IT. And I am now going to write an email to the next people I'm going to asking if I'm going to have ANYTHING to do with hay. Otherwise I'm not going.

So we finally left for a ride about 6 or 7pm and only got back about 10:20pm, we rode back in the dark but luckily the mozzies were too bad. I took my hair out so I had a fly swatter and that seemed to help. Oh, and I fell off again today but it was pretty funny. My horse (still in training) stumbled up a hill onto its front legs and I thought it was gonna go down completely so I just let myself roll off into the grass. Didn't hurt at the time but my wrist is a little sore and I think I'll have a bruise on my thigh. What a douche :P

No comments:

Post a Comment