Saturday 14 August 2010

The shifting dymanic

This will be a quick one. I haven't eaten breakfast yet and there are lots of things to do. This morning we got woken up by a man beating a drum outside our window and yelling something in Hungarian. Apparently that's how he tells the Hungarian part of town there's something happening soon.

The boss arrived a couple of days ago with his wife, and it's been an interesting shift in dynamics. Although they haven't expected us to be housekeepers like we feared, and we haven't had to cook the meals because B likes cooking (and is quite good at it), we still feel a bit like walking on eggshells if we're not doing anything and maybe looking lazy or something... I don't think we should worry so much but we don't know her that well so we are still a bit unsure.

She was a civil lawyer but isn't practising anymore, just coaching in the art of mediation and negotiation. So I need to watch how I interact with people around her, she knows the tricks of the trade. She is an interesting person though, many layers to get through which in some ways is good and some bad. She has a way of making you feel you've done something stupid when it may have just been an oversight, but I think that's just her way. I still have a smile on my face though and I assume most of what I do is ok by her. Well, I can't try any harder.

We have some guests coming over the next few days, a German girl staying for 2 weeks which should be good. Apparently she can ride so that's someone else to accompany us. And the second week we're taking her out on a trek. But at this stage it's still unsure who is needed for what nights on the trek, etc... Another family is coming for a few days next week, with kids (urgh), and some people for day trails here and there. Seems August is the busiest month!

How long I stay will depend on how I get on with B and all the dogs (3 more now she's back, it is A LOT of them and is getting a bit hectic - we had to have a nice one in our room last night because they kept cornering her and attacking when she was tied up, poor thing is limping now), and whether I think I'm a help or hinderance here. The place will be at max capacity next week for a short while and I don't want to be relegated to kitchen duty or something because they have enough riders. I have other places to be if that's the case.

Probably I'll stay here for another 2 weeks max and then head to the other place in Romania, not stay more than about 3 weeks there because I don't actually think the horses are yet ridable and I will get bored of just groundwork. But the Swedes have been approached by the same farm and may come about the same time I'm there so we can have some trails together. It's all up in the air now.

And look at that, it wasn't short at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment