Sunday 15 May 2011

The little yellow house

With plans aplenty for the next day - including finding a new house for all 4 of us to live together in - I woke to a blazing sun and the sounds of waves crashing softly, entirely before everyone else in what I like to call El Grupo del Mundo. So I used the opportunity to walk the "town" a bit, get a handle on everything in this weird little part of the world. Got a quote for a casa for 4, and by the time I came back, I was still stoned from my breakfast spliff and nice n calm from my walk... ready to tackle the day.

We could have walked the dunes to the next town - 2 hours in total - or maybe tried to find the whale bones apparently on the other beach. Or gone up the lighthouse. Or seen the sea lion pack. Instead, we chose to chill. The easy road in a place like this. But, after the hecticness of BA, I felt I deserved some relaxation. And I know I wasn't the only one.

Me and A, the American, checked ourselves out of the hostel at the lazy hour of midday and went looking for a new house from "the lady with the blue doors". Such are the directions of a place with no streets. The other 2 caught us up and we checked out a new pad, deciding to take a bigger one with 2 bedrooms and a small lounge area, then me and A went walking in search of the whale bones (to no avail). On the way back, we ran into the other 2, who told us they preferred to stay in their small house because it was cheaper and R was worried about money because she had forgotten to withdraw before coming to the cape. F was concerned about the room, but she wanted to try and fit all of us in there. So we vamosed and gave it a go.

Until now, we hadn't actually seen their casita but as we trekked to the other end of the cape's dwellings, we saw a cute little yellow building come into view... one look at the gnome-sized door and I was hooked. The tall American, not so much, but he warmed to it once we got inside and felt the energy. Ahh, the energy. This 2-room cubbyhole had such a positive vibe, a really family atmosphere... the fact we would be sardining it in the evening-time didn't really bother us. So that was that. New house sorted. And for a particularly good price, might I add (Thailand styles).

One of the men I was talking to by the fire last night was a local who said he could get horses to ride the next day, and so we managed to locate him once again (not hard when you can virtually scan the whole town from any semi-high or semi-clear vantage point) and organise for a bunch of us (including some random guests from our former hostel) to go the next day. Nothing was a problem for the horse guy - sure, how many horses you need? What time? How much? Whatever you want... seemed to good to be true, and it kinda was. Once the next day arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment