Thursday 17 June 2010

My calf muscles, how they ache...

Woke up today with aching calf muscles. Not entirely surprising, considering how much A and I TREKKED yesterday in Sintra. It's just 45 mins away on the train but a totally different vibe to downtown Lisbon. Apparently it's been home to wandering arty types for years but more recently become a respite for rich European folk who want a weekend getaway, so in a way it's like Brighton (in England). Really cool vibe but lots of tourists!
A said I had to check out the palace so we embarked on what we later discovered was a 'bite off more than you can chew' walk up to the gates. What A remembered as a short trip up the hill turned out to be a HECTIC mission up and up and up til we almost gave up (lucky we had Chips Ahoy and patisserie treats to keep us motivated during our rest breaks) - but alas, we finally made it and it was worth the sore muscles. The palace was gorgeous, not sure the exact type of architecture but the view from the top was incredible. I'll post a pic on here soon.
Next stop was Quinta da Regaleira, a 17th century (I think) estate that is known throughout the region as old headquarters of the Masons. This would probably be the explanation for the secret tunnels and passageways littered throughout the property - oh, and the 'initiation well' and various other ceremonial aspects. Which, by the way, the brochure explains as things used to connect people with heaven and hell, and get closer to the gods. Hmmm. I'm going with Masonic. A and I ventured into some of the underground tunnels but as most were not lit at all and we didn't have torches, I had to use my Blackberry camera to get momentary flashes of vision so we didn't break out legs on stairs or potholes. It was friggin hilarious, A clutching my back in fear and me almost pissing my pants in laughter (but also a bit of fear). Shame the pics didn't come out on my camera though...
Figuring we'd run around like children exploring just a little too long and we didn't have time for the beach, we headed to A's dad's place and got driven back to town for dinner with the family. Cuteness! They talked mostly in Portuguese so I drifted off in my own thoughts, mainly creating fantasies about some of the hot wait staff (A tells me they were mostly Brazilian - I'm booking my ticket there asap haha). Yummy Mexican food and full belly later I headed home, watched Kick-Ass with the boys and headed to bed.
Now, calf muscles aching, I'm trying to organise my next bit of Portugal travel. Must run to the agency now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment