Tuesday 29 June 2010

The city sights

OK, so I've been already three days at my new Couchsurfing host's house so there is a little bit to write... I will divide it into a few posts though, because I know how blind a computer screen can make you.

I caught the train into the centre - and I mean the centre, R's place is SMACK BANG in the action - and after some waylaid directions, I finally found the right address, albeit with sweat coating all my clothes and my mind about to explode with frustration. R sorted me with my bedroom and then we headed down to an outdoor cafe to watch the football. We met his friends there then they invited us to their place to watch the second game, which was nice - more cheese and bread for me (yay!), and a lovable chien, a rare white boxer. Was really interesting looking but drooled worse than that glob from Ghostbusters. I almost fell asleep after a few consecutive 'not common' cigarettes (as my former Couchsurfers called them) but revived myself enuf to head to R's friend's house for a big Greek dinner!

Oh, the food at this place! Ai ai ai!! It was really funny, there were about five nationalities at the table, all speaking mixtures of Portuguese and English, while I just shoveled food into my mouth. Especially when the talk turned into an intellectual/political debate. And I'm OUT.

Next day I allowed myself a big sleep-in and rolled into action at a leisurely pace, just strolling around the city which I hadn't really done yet. Found the big park R and his partner L had suggested (they say they're the most beautiful in Portugal) and found a rocky outcrop with an incredible view of the city to lie on. Then along comes this sweet-looking old man - and I'm talkin' mid-70s easily here - who says something in Portuguese, I tell him I don't speak Portuguese so he just smiles and leans over and kisses my forehead... weird?? Read my next post to see just how weird he got...........

No comments:

Post a Comment