Monday 24 October 2011

Sunday at Mullet Bay (seriously, amazing name)

My phone rang. Well, it took a moment to realise it was my phone ringing, since I only just got a SIM card and haven't actually had a phone to ring for a while... so I pick it up, still in bed on my Sunday day off, and for a confusing couple of minutes I'm talking to who I thought was J then realised - due to hearing the same roosters crowing in his background, it was my neighbour.

There are a couple of things strange about this. 1, I never gave him my number so I can only assume when he borrowed my phone last night, the friend he rang then passed on my number. Now I might be old-fashioned, but unless someone specifically gives their number to you, I would not be calling them. Especially at 8:30am on a Sunday, my day off. Also, what was he calling me for? He lives about 5m to my right. And did I mention it was 8:30am?? I made my excuses and hung up, staying in my room until I know he had left for work.*

J phoned shortly after, a phonecall I was waiting for since we were due to snorkel together that day. Him being my workmate and what I genuinely believed a nice guy, I was looking forward to it. And I was right.

He arrived a little late, but all good. He gave me enuf extra time to get picked up by my other neighbour, who asked repeatedly for my number to the extent that it was awkward not to give it. Especially when they call it to "return the number" and I can't give a fake one. Not that I am into the fake number thing, if I don't wanna answer, I know after the first call and I will re-label him "don't answer".

That reminds me... J and I were in the cab to Mullet Bay - yes, amazing innit - and I get a phonecall from an unknown number. He starts saying, in a Jamaican sounding voice, "Yah man, so can I take some of your lunch?" I turn to J - what does he mean? Is it some primal mating call I'm unfamiliar with? No, he probably just wants some of your lunch. Urgh, J, you are hopeless!! My reaction - just say, thank you, I have no idea what you're saying, I'm gonna hang up now. J asks em why I hung up. Man, I have no idea what's going on, fuck you all!

So that was weird. OMG I hear Celine Dion AGAIN here... what's the deal?? Random. Anyway... moving on... We went to Mullet Bay - still can't get over it - and it was beautiful... a small beach with hire chairs and umbrellas... we got an umbrella and sat a while, drank some beer (beer being the beer I jokingly said I wanted in the supermarket earlier that J took literally and bought), and swam some.

He had brought snorkeling gear, but only one set, so I at one point went out and saw some fishies by the rocks, and lost my labret ring that I stupidly wear without a ball these days... We made friends with some nearby peeps - a couple about my age studying to be doctors at the local US university and an aging, overweight couple from NY thinking about buying a house here. Cool.

So, finally, after fried chicken, rice, about 8 beers including those drunk in the water, some swimming, snorkeling, a discreet tear shed about my boy and the setting sun... we left. There was a momentary thought about another bar, dismissed shortly, and we headed home.

I like being home this early. We had a short stop at the cafe with internet, that for some reason couldn't connect to my email, but other than that came back almost skulkily before realising we were super early. Before 8pm. So I started cooking a meal for J and I, then he had to leave to get the last bus... I'm now alone just eating my pasta and sausage meal. But super happy about the day. I think J and I will be great friends, I don't get a weird feeling about him at all - I mean he'd totally do it if he had the chance, but he's a gentleman. And he'd be pretty hard-assed if he tried anything after I cried on him. Yep, shed a tear in the afternoon sun. So what if I miss my boy?? I'm soft, get over it.

*Turns out it was my neighbour on a different number. Urgh, get the message!!

No comments:

Post a Comment