Monday 16 January 2012

(More) free massages and drug boats. In that order.

I woke up with the firm intention of doing the Rhino Safari today, despite the morning rain - and no, that's not traversing jungle tracks in a jeep in search of horned predators. Much less alarming, it's the name they give to the small dinghy/jetski with an outboard motor, that you drive solo or with a partner, and are guided for 2.5 hours around certain areas of the island, including some nice snorkelling spots.

I had been excited about this for a while, and thinking I could get it for a reasonable discount through staff contacts, I went down to Seaside in the morning to see if it was possible to book for that afternoon. I'd already done a bit of washing (now my mortal enemy) and finally got credit on my phone during grocery shopping (Polly waiting faithfully outside the supermarket doors, bless her), so I was set.

Unfortunately, the price had escalated a little and the afternoon was already full, so I shelved that idea for the moment and instead prodded the office manager for some ideas on different beaches to visit. I have to make use of every day off from now on! She suggested Baie Rouge on the French side, and N who keeps a private horse at the stables happened to be going that way, so I didn't even need to bother with buses. Hooray!

The beach was a little unusual, in that its sand was quite uneven and then literally dropped down to the water. So the water didn't come up into the pockets of lower sand, it just naturally undulated against a barrier of trees that provided shade to those choosing the back of the beach to park their butts. Nice to not have to buy an umbrella!

There were a few rastas floating around with their prying eyes, but I managed to find a spot a little further away to comfortably embrace the French side idealisms. If you get my point. Soon I met a masseuse en route around the beach and told him I couldn't afford any massages. No worries, he said, I'll give you a free sample.

Now this isn't the first time this has happened to me. I forgot to mention it in my previous blog because it happened during my drunken Tuesday off, and honestly I forgot it happened until today, but that day a lady masseuse had given me a free massage too. I gather it makes other people want one, seeing someone else getting poked n prodded into a firm state of relaxation.

I got talking with the masseuse of today, and was telling him which parts of the island I'd seen, and that I was on a mission to see more of it before I went home to my boyfriend. He offered to take me to the next beach over, where some really nice views were. And also if I wanted him to take him massage table out for a proper massage, he was happy to do it for free.

Now I know this sounds suss, but I judged the situation soberly and carefully. He had a proper table, brought out sheets and towels of all descriptions, and after he'd shown me some actually nice views, he gave me a head-to-toe (but NOT full body!) massage, being careful to keep my non-massaged body parts under towel. It was beautiful, the waves crashing behind me and the sun warming my body. Helped to fix that sore calf muscle, too.

Afterwards, he said he would do it again another time if I liked, and I said I have to be respectful to my boyfriend and going about getting massages all the time isn't really going about that the best way. Then I got into a long description about how this guy was it, he was the one, I'd waiting my whole life to find him and now I had, I didn't want to lose it. I wanted to be with him forever. In the car on the way to dropping me off in Marigot, he remarked about how sullen and reflective I'd become. Well, that's what happens when you get me thinking about my boy, I said.

I got home, had a quick snack (not the most healthy, won't even describe it) and then had to go back to Seaside to get Polly, who had been waiting there since I ran off in a car, thinking I was off working with the horses all day. I am really becoming fond of this little doggy, will be sad to say goodbye to her. There I did some more sunbaking in my "French side" bikini (ass cheeks now red!) and chatted with my workmates when the day was done. In front of a beautiful sunset, a heavily loaded boat passed.

"Ahh, must be from Puerto Rico."
"What is it?"
"Drugs."
"Really?? How do you know?"
"I just know. First box is marajuana, second is cocaine, third is ecstasy pills."

Still not sure if they were kidding or not. Seemed pretty serious to me.

Later at home, I chilled out while waiting for N to call and arrange drinks... possibly. She always has so much on the go I wasn't holding my breath. When she did call, she apologised that she had to stay home and finish off some photography work but could we reschedule for tomorrow? Sure! I have to go to work for one ride, but afterwards hopefully we'll do something. Visit the fortress perhaps? Random photo shoot? Until then, it's just me, my laptop, a biography of Bob Marley and the reverberating rhythms of ongoing church worship and the kind of preaching we usually only see in Eddie Murphy comedies. Happy Sunday, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment