Thursday 12 January 2012

There's gon be some changes 'round here...

Of course, today would be the day I have to start extra early, as in when the day is yet to shed its first light. And I was still without bulb in my bedroom. Dammit. Sometimes working the hours I do is so inconvenient to my life! So I felt my way to get ready by the light of my laptop and headed in for a busy day.

To make matters worse, the shops weren't opening because it was Sunday so I was going to come home to another night in the dark. I really need new Crocs, too, since mine have worn through and the thorns are finding it way too easy to get caught in the sole. But I was determined to get back on the tip train, so I flexed my knuckles and stared down the barrel of the tourist gun. Give me what you got, baby.

I had 4 rides in total, and even managed to get some tips (albeit just $5) from an English couple - that's almost like getting $20 from an American couple! Mostly beginners, my guests all seemed to love the ride and it was all I could do to forget the horrible experience from the day before.

Had a ridiculously scared man with his girlfriend, early 30s I think, on the same ride as 2 local kids (not scared an inch, might I add). His girlfriend couldn't believe how he reacted to the riding, really freaking out on a horse that was quite quiet - actually, the same horse the guy fell off the day before! I was leading a 6-year-old but thought at one point, maybe I should swap the lead rope for the 30-year-old!

Needless to say, he didn't go into the water. In fact, he got off the horse quick smart and went to the bar for a beer. Walking down, the girlfriend said she loved the ride and apologised for her partner - he was really a douche. Didn't expect any tips, but of course that's when you get them, so it was a nice surprise to have him hand me $20 at the end of it all!

My day ended with 4 girls from all corners of the world - New Zealand, Finland, America - that were working on a super yacht. They were disappointed I was not gonna budge from the walking-only pace, which I told them before we even left, giving them the option of paying more for the ride that I was actually allowed to go faster with them... of course that suggestion was met with silence.

It wouldn't have annoyed me so much, but considering the events of recent days, I got quite agitated at their disappointment. If you wanna go fast, book the fast ride. If you are too cheap to do that, don't try it on me to break the rules and risk my job and your safety. "We can ride" - no, you could not. "My horse won't go" - that's because you're not kicking it. Fools.

And so it was that we walked. Even for advanced riders, the views we have on our rides are unparalleled and the weather is gorgeous. Most people have never been in the water with a horse either, so that's always a treat. So I think I gave them something to remember. Although I wasn't expecting a tip, as none of the other super yacht crew rides I've done had garnered any. I said as much to J as we unsaddled and packed up for the day - apparently not too loud, as I came down to the girls still sitting in the beach hut waiting for their cab, and one came over to tip me. Woot!

I was pretty tired this day, having used all my days off to party with E, and I wasn't looking forward to possibly changing my day off day to Wednesday instead of Tuesday. I still had Monday to go, so I didn't know yet, but I was crossing every limb that I got Tuesday off still. Was going to go to Anguilla but just need a sleep-in, time to wash my clothes, to surf the net... Man, I'm getting tired just thinking about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment