Wednesday 15 September 2010

Read the warning: sleeping pills cause stupidity

I write this from the cosy little apartment I'm staying at in Budapest, having had a hectic last 24 hours getting here. Having been ferried from Reghin to Targu Mures for a bus trip that would take 12 hours to get to Budapest, I settled into the backseat (momentarily squashy due to a lady who found the fact I knew a few Romanian words fascinating) and popped a couple of sleeping pills. The next few hours were a blur, as I rocked in and out of consciousness and somehow negotiated toilet stops throughout.

Once at Budapest, at 4am I was faced with then negotiating a bus station I had never been at, hardly anyone speaking English, no stations open to even get money out and no idea which direction to get a tram, should I find one running. I found some young Hungarian girls that spoke good English but had little more suggestions other than wait, meanwhile my mate's on the phone saying he needs to get up soon to do something so I am being pushed to get to his sooner than later.

He orders a cab to the station cos that's cheaper apparently, while I searched for a cash machine. Once located, I in my groggy sleeping pill state, stared blankly at the screen asking for my PIN number. Blindly fumbling onto some keys, I managed to get it wrong twice and at least recognise that another attempt might lose my card forever. So I had to think fast (not an easy task for me at this time) and ended up getting public transport (tram, metro then walking) and making it to the flat before he left. My back was killing me from my hectic backpack but in hindsight, I did save money from getting a cab!

Got to C's place about 5:30am, the second time I've arrived at such an hour (poor thing) and he left shortly after. I had a good few more hours of sleep then woke with a sudden flash of non-sleep deprived intelligence, and rushed to the bank to try my 'PIN'. Seems I was onto a good thing and now I'm flushed with cash - yay! Now I have today to try and sort out some shit on the computer and chill out before the Swedish girls arrive on Friday for a night of my fabulous tours :)

No comments:

Post a Comment