Wednesday 8 September 2010

Penny-pinching goes to a new level

After a decent day's progress with Gina and her foal, me and the boys decided to go to the pub for a few post-dinner drinks. Now I say 'pub' but it's really only inhabited by the same few people day in, day out and when the boys come they stay open longer because they're some of the only business. And it's got a pool table. So that's something.

I went in and after sitting to the side with the boys drinking 2-3 litre bottles of beer between us, the inevitable happened and we integrated ourselves into the pool games while the boys took turns in flirting with me, the only new girl they'd seen in quite some time. I could've been hunchbacked and haggard, they still would've given it a go I reckon. But it was entertaining, me trying to speak my lame version of Romanian, them trying to do the same with English. We played several games of pool, me always partnered with one of the boys vying for some conversation with me even though I sucked ass and balls at pool, and eventually looked at the clock and called it a night at 3am.

Needless to say, the next day I was a little foggy but still got up early and worked a little bit with the horse and A. All was good except the initial catching of Gina, who decided it was more fun to turn around and double barrel kick me than have a rope attached to her halter. Little shit. She only got my hands slightly though so I wasn't hurt but it surprised me - she hasn't pulled a stunt like that again so hopefully I handled it the right way.

Afterwards, I volunteered to accompany the couple to the shops as A needed some help getting a new horse brush etc. Bad move. It was, suffice to say, the WORST shopping trip I have ever been on. I would've gladly changed places with either of the boys had I known what was going to happen.

Firstly, we visited no less than 3 supermarkets to get the cheapest of certain products, even to save literally 4 ban (which is the currency smaller than lei, under a dollar's worth in Oz equivalent). I understand if you're a little tight on the budget but this was ridiculous - I think the petrol burned in the old Truvant would've cost what they saved shop by shop. But hey, it's their life.

But, when they continually bicker in the car, on the street and in the shops, it gets awkward. I wish they'd do it in Romanian so I could just block it out. Especially when G refuses to give A money to go to the shop because he doesn't trust her to make an economical decision, and she gets back into the car to drive back without him, it's awkward. Talk about dominance issues. Again, I do not know how she puts up with it, she must love him a lot. I can tell she's quite an independent, free-thinking person and he can be so suffocating with her.

Today, when we worked with Gina, we got the 12 year old from next door to jump on her and walk around. She was fine with that. The old, cheeky neighbour (grandpa of the boy) tried to push me on her but I resisted. Still not 100% about her leg strength and size. Also got the beautiful, new harness made especially for their vintage carriage on her and she was fine, even when the old neighbour was behind with the reins. I think we can get a tyre behind her tomorrow and then try to get another neighbour's old, small cart to use out the back so she gets used to it.

I also jumped on the massive heavy that the neighbour uses to pull his carts of trees, but only with a halter and shoddy rope for reins, so I just trotted. But would like to ride again with the bridle, it's a bloody big mare though but I do need practise riding bareback. You wouldn't think I would, would you haha

No comments:

Post a Comment