Monday 6 September 2010

Farewell Halmeag... for now

As I write this, I sit on my late arriving train to Reghin, to meet the hosts of my new Help Exchange place. It's still in Romania, just the other side of Transylvania, so hopefully that means I'll get to see a new side of this beautiful country.

It was sad saying goodbye to H and B, and they looked so cute standing in the doorway waving us away, but there is always the chance of coming back, maybe for Christmas for a surely amazing dinner by B. Mmmmm.... motivated by food.

I drove into Brasov with L at the wheel and E in the back, it was a little stressful but we got there in one piece and on time - not that it mattered, my train was half an hour late itself! They will head back to Halmeag and stay for a further 10 days or so, and hopefully we'll all meet up in Budapest for a day before they return to Sweden and I go on to my next place.

Sitting here thinking about the little house in Halmeag, I am getting a little teary... besides H and B, I will miss the dogs, the horses, the life, the 'hello!'s from all the kids in the village, the 'buna seva' greetings from the older residents, the people staring at us like we have 3 heads and of course my little shepherd boy :( I said goodbye to him yesterday on the way back from our ride, and the girls waiting a little further down the road. He is so sweet, I just wish he wasn't a gypsy and there was a little more promise in his life than what I know probably awaits him. No doubt he'll have knocked up some village gypsy by Christmas and be working as a goat herder with the little black hat they always wear, and never wash. Sad times but better it's her than me I guess.

The weather fined up for my last day in Halmeag and I was bummed I couldn't stay to have a longer ride but at least it is nice looking out the window of the train. It has been on and off rain for the week, but not as bad as I feared and at least warm at night with the fires burning.

I do wonder what awaits me at this next place, and indeed the places afterwards... there are so many options for me but I do think at some stage, probably over winter, I'll have to bite the bullet and actually work as an English teacher for some cash. Maybe I could convince my friend in Budapest that it's an awesome idea to let me stay at his for a little while (I'm sure he really wouldn't mind that much...) but we'll just have to see. It's this little problem of money that always rears its ugly head.

But plans are afoot for big things in the very near future.... September will be a very interesting month.... stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment