Tuesday 28 September 2010

Staving off anxiety with alcohol

Having arrived safe n sound in Sydney, I was already pleasing dad because we were in and out within the free 15 minute parking allowance they've now introduced at Kingsford Smith. Nothing much changes ;) It was stupid o'clock in the morning, I was still drunk from the plane (would you believe, the steward actually asked me how much I'd had - ha! First time ever) but I was pushing on. And I'd now gotten over the mild anxiety attack that came on as I landed in Sydney, once I could tell myself I was only here for a week.

Came home, checked the net and twiddled my thumbs until I thought it was a reasonable hour to call my friends. Turns out all of them were up already because, as I'm yet to find out, having a big grown-up job does require a pre-8am wake-up. NOT looking forward to that in the future!!

Everyone was super surprised at me ringing from a Sydney number, but I was still paranoid someone would slip to my sister. Alas, the surprise was kept under lock n key until that evening. After a little sleep and catching up with two of my besties at a local pub for lunch (more alcohol), I joined dad and his wife for the drive up to my sister and her fiance's new place on the coast.

We'd hired a house on the same street, which was quite nice, and soon enuf they left to make sure everyone had arrived at my sister's before dinner. Once they had, they tried to get me on Skype, of course I wasn't on, dad feigned annoyance and tried to ring me, that was the signal, I picked up my beer (I'd had three more by this stage) and another 6-pack, and headed up the road.

I swear I've never seen L so surprised - now I actually know the look of someone whose seen a ghost! She gave a little shriek and then hugged me, everyone was all excited and it was hectic, then we headed to dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment