Tuesday 14 December 2010

South American plans... going south already??

The most remarkable thing about today was the progress I made in my plans for South America. After receiving the positive, hap-hap-happening Couchsurfing response... actually before I continue I will copy exactly what he wrote and you can tell me if it seems at all like something I would be interested in:

"During Carnivall we have a lot of diferent parties, usually some song in a big car, everybody singing or dancing. It's cool, but really hot. Bring light - or even lighter clothes. There is a lot of cars, everyday, in a lot of diferent places. It's also a party where you can date anyone. Usually is like a summer passion. What happens in the Carnival, stays in the Carnival. If you can live a passion like that, be gratefull, usually they are very intense, and ends in 7 days, but we can remember things like that for all our lifes. It happens just once or twice in our life, anyway, so don't worry too much.

It's also a party where you can be who you want. Bring a costume - or don't - dress like a poor girl, a princess, guys dressing like prostitutes, a lot of beer, a lot of sun. Yeah, it's a hell, but can be good.

What more can I say about carnival? Sometimes I just want to stay away from Rio, it's a too passional party, sometimes I just want to sleep in the beach, enjoy, go out without know when I will come back.

The best place to stay during carnival is a central place, or near the beaches. Do you want to stay here? I will host a couple, but I might host one people more. It will be a little crowded, but it's carnival. Bring some beers (I will wait for you with at least 100 cans in my freezer) and let's party!"

So there it is. Exactly what I wanted to hear in one message, wrapped up in a neat little package. Since I got that, I have been off the CHAAAAAAIIN trying to organise myself to get there and as excited as I am, even I have to admit I am continuing hitting barriers.

Firstly, there is the issue of price for the flight there. It is never cheap to get to South America at the best times of times, let alone Carnivale, so that is a challenge. Then I find out all the requirements I need to actually get into the country... those visa things and oh yeah, an onward ticket... WTF?? I don´t DO onward tickets. It means I need to put a semi-definite date to returning home for sis´ wedding, which scares me a little.

Then there´s the issue of earning money while I´m there. On what I will have left in the bank, I will last about 1 week (esp in Carnivale) so a job is a must. I already have 1 hostel saying I can work there but they have a 2 month minimum and also don´t feed me so I would still need money to spend. And I don´t particularly like the thought of being trapped in this hostel for 2 months, esp since I imagine I would be digging for another job straight away and want to move to that asap.

Ideally, I need a hostel with a 1 month minimum or even a salary (unlikely) instead of just accommodation but who knows... The search continues. Bless me world, you know I´m good for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment