Tuesday 27 July 2010

Rain, rain and more rain... and mice.

Today it rained. And rained. And rained. I rode good ol' Vivke this morning, foal in tow (it's gorgeous, getting all high n mighty with the dogs now and chasing them for a change), and it was quite pleasant. I was equipped with a rain jacket so it was OK. Welcome change to the sun. The afternoon ride, however, not so well prepared. Momentary sun poking out from the clouds fooled me into thinking the rain was over - fool I be, as I rode back DRENCHED in the torrential rain. Poor old Bombyana.

Now I've just stuffed myself way too full (what a change) with the leftovers and am sitting in the living room making myself paranoid about mice crawling over my feet, falling from the ceiling, jumping out from cupboards. I don't know why I am so scared, I used to own one of the damn things, but there's just something about the wild ones. And I know the cat is useless. I just located the source of the dead mouse smell, and it was indeed a dead mouse. In the corner. I ain't cleaning it up. Hideous. I can at least thank my time at TMN for giving me such a keen sense of dead mouse smell. Now that's a skill to pass down the generations.

Second day in and I'm by myself with the gypsies. They kinda treat me like the temporary boss, which is quite funny since I don't really know what they're saying. But hey, I guess it's a compliment! Ha! It's also funny, I guess because I'm older and louder, I'm kinda the leader in the threesome of me and the 2 Swedish girls. They're perfectly capable but I think they don't mind just taking orders. Not that I order them around but I seem to find myself organising meals (even cooking them, shock horror!) and whose riding who etc. I'm sure the gloss will fade soon enuf.

I have been here for just shy of two weeks and it already feels so homey. Another couple emailed me from the same Help Exchange website crying for help with their horses on a property a couple of hours drive from here, still in Transylvania. I think I'll go and see if I can save any of the beasts from becoming dog meat, but I still want to stay here for a little bit. Was thinking perhaps late Aug/early Sept I could head there, the couple are English I think and sound nice. Also sound like they don't mind a pint or two, how very unusual for the British, so I'll fit in fine.

Eww, this smell is only gonna get worse. Grrr. I wish I didn't have to sit here with the internet cable.

Sasha and Bertus slept on the landing of my room last night, it was very nice to have some company and feel a bit more secure. Nice dogs, they are. Tonight I'll bring them in again then tomorrow I meet the others to camp out somewhere. Can't wait, the weather looks a treat.

I got an email response from one of the South African properties I enquired to, and they're keen to have me whenever I want to come. So I've been busying myself researching and researching, as I do, about vaccinations, flights, dates etc... I don't think I will work in Cyprus, I'll just have time to visit P for a little bit and then head to South Africa via London perhaps. It's not that cheap to fly there unfortunately. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment