Saturday 24 July 2010

Country driving is fun

It's been over a year since I was behind the steering wheel, so I kinda wanted to ease back into the whole driving thing. Not to be the case, as it were, since the only car available to drive in times of need here is a beat-up old SOMETHING, who knows what, that takes a fair few loving turns of the ignition to get going and stalls every time you slow to walking pace. Fun times.
I've now driven it twice and along the same stretch of potholed, ungraded dirt that takes us from the house to the building site, and now I'm sat waiting for H to return so I can drive back and tell the girls whether we need to keep the tents up to sleep in tonight or take them down so the gypos don't steal them in the night.
I should explain, we have rooms but guests have turned up unexpectedly and have been patiently waiting all day for him to ask if there is vacancy. Apparently everywhere else is booked up. So if H does put them up for a couple of days, there is a strong possibility that we'll be shoved out of the guest house and made to sleep in a tent. Which none of us object to, we'll have dogs with us, but it's just the waiting!! I'm stuck here with nothing to do, with these poor guests hoping for a room. And a ride. Which I would soon enuf take them on, but I know nothing about the rates, or the safety procedures or.... wait.... I hear... no, no, it was just a motorbike.
These poor girls will die of thirst before we even hear the whimper of his diesel engine...

No comments:

Post a Comment