Monday 13 June 2011

Moler = 1, Me = 0

I`ve always hated the whole "fail" phase in recent social networking history, but I feel my first Friday night in La Paz was decidedly deserving of this label. I don`t know if it was too much sun, too many painkillers, too much walking, not enuf water... but whatever it was, it thoroughly and completely stopped me from leaving the hostel with the group of hot artesans I had befriended in the hostel. Why, oh why???

Let me start at the beginning. I woke early to try and catch the lady in the Caribbean wanting a Skype interview with me for this job come September, only to find I had misread the email and she wanted to meet in the afternoon. Oh well. So I headed next straight to the bank district to try and sort out my card issues. I ended up having to withdraw from my credit card, messing up all my budgeting but hey, I am not complaining with the dinero in my pocket. I was worried there for a second.

Back at the hostel, I found F who had lent me the money for my tooth operation and finally settled that debt - hate the feeling of owing people! She was sitting on the rooftop patio with the other artesans, making arm bands and juggling etc... I kinda like that vibe so I stayed there a while. In the beautiful sun.

Then I left with the Spanish girl M to walk to the lookout, soooo beautiful... it really showed La Paz sitting snugly in its little valley, then spreading slowly but surely up the hills in between some cliffs and around arid mountains. And in the background, the most stunning snow-capped mountain makes for an almost unbelievable comparison as we sat under the scorching rays of the afternoon sun. My camera was well utilised at this moment.

Later in the day, I returned to the lookout for sunset, although it was a little late and we only got there for the faint glow of the disappearing sun across the valley. Still beautiful. I vowed to be less tardy the next day.

I had more miscommunication with my French boy and after much effort, eventually wrote him a message outlining the 3 choices he had in meeting me again. I was SICK of those fucking hills from his hostel to mine - I climbed them TWICE to no avail this day. I love La Paz, but it is literally an uphill battle most of the time!

To my surprise, when I was having a siesta before going out with the hippies, I saw a little bearded face pop into my blurry, sleepy vision in my dark room saying in his cute little French accent, "Oh so you are sleeping again?!" It took a little encouraging to get me out of bed, me being incredibly cold despite having about 6 blankets on top of me and not feeling 100%.

I was literally waiting downstairs for everyone to be ready when I went to the bathroom, almost fainted and decided it was best to give this one to the sleeping gods. Tomorrow, I promise to fulfill my partying destiny in La Paz. My brother would be oh so disappointed if I didn`t.

No comments:

Post a Comment