Friday 12 July 2013

To the Gold Coast - I mean, cancun

So I'm sitting on my balcony at the J.W. Marriott, named not after myself although its fair to say its a great name, looking out at the Caribbean Sea on my left, the lagoon and its jet ski enthusiasts to my right, an assortment of azul pools down below and in every direction, pockets of other FC people getting happy. I'm a little lightheaded from the overpriced cocktails (almost as bad as Australia) had from the pool bar earlier this afternoon and am just taking this spare time to let the after sun gel soak into my hideously sun-kissed body. Although sun-kissed is such a gentle word. How about turned over and sodomised by the sun. Yes, that's better.

The beach is just as clear here and also just as clean - one thing I have to remark about in Mexico is that they really make the effort to clean up after themselves. At least in the more touristy areas. It will be interesting just how intensely touristified this place is, already I feel I could just be at the Gold Coast, just with darker waiters who include service charge whether you like it or not. Actually, they probably do that on the gd coast now too.

I've so far run into a number of people at the hotel, firstly K who I am roomed with again (firstly in Vietnam for the intrepid famil), A and P from neighbouring stores. We went to maragitaville at a's suggestion and it was just tacky and culturally devoid as expected. But at the same time, I was ready for the tack. And for no one even bothering to speak their native tongue. In fact, it went to far as to be answered in English even when I phrased the question in Spanish. Sigh. So much for my practice. At least we rode public transport the few kms down there - yay for new experiences!

The guys mostly started to fade towards the end of lunch, after we'd downed some fairly generous cocktails (mine came with a free light-up cup yeeow), we did a spot of souvenir shopping, A bought a bottle of tequila shaped like a pistol and I just milled around trying to look interested. I must say, however, that Mexico does have a much better souvenir palate to work with. There was plenty I'd actually consider buying for little presents. Maybe later.

My taxi ride to cancun was interesting. The can driver tried to convince me, as I practised Spanish and he practised English, that he could mend my broken heart and that I needed to make the most of my vacacciones. I perked up only when he said he had lots of friends in "high" places on playa del Carmen, if I wanted to have a good time when I was there after global. So maybe he is worthwhile having a chat to... I am a little put off by the question "tu tienes un novio?" No I don't hav a fucking boyfriend and I don't particularly want to talk about it to someone I just met. What's my ideal guy? Not a short Mexican with no life prospect or plan beyond getting the piece of foreign ass in front of him.

Rant. Over.

So now it's about 2 hours til we need to go to the other pool area for this party tonight. Part of me is so relaxed I wouldn't mind a quick nap but that's just a silly idea for which I should be punished... With cocktails!! Ahh... Still a little tipsy. I wonder what I should team the obligatory poncho with at said party?? First world problems... Aye aye aye.. I feel for the legitimate guests of the hotel. I'm sorry, in advance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment