Monday 5 August 2013

Horse, cart and.. rails?

Breakfast at our hotel in Merida was plentiful, and I can definitely say it was the first time I'd seen deep fried broccoli as part of the mix - yes, of course I tried it. We were set to go to some cenotes (pronounced sen-ot-tees) today - the morphed Mayan-cum-Spanish interpretation of large cavernous swimming holes with crystal clear water and a welcome shade from the sun.

Another mini-bus ride later and we were in a random little village, clearly centred around these tourist rides to the cenotes. I say rides because we were now looking forward to some kind of horse and cart experience, except of course that the horses pulled us along on this weird rail system where they trotted along the outside of the tracks and we wheeled along behind them, creaking and crackling all the way. We were amused by the whole thing, swatting the numerous bugs from our exposed swimmer-clad bodies.

First, we saw a cave. Nice and all that, but where are the cenotes?? Back on the horse and cart, poor little skinny things pulling 5 of us along apiece, where I notice an old horse feed bag and 2 things spring to mind: they actually feed these horses, where does it go? and they even put tortillas in the horse mix? I suppose it's not that bad an idea. We got to the first cenote, down a vertical ladder (2, actually) and into a dark cave with a small, thin pool at the bottom. I was the first onto the slippery slope, stupidly trying to do it with a camera in one hand, hair flying everywhere, my white dress quickly getting filthy... ahh, no. I'd rather not die today.

When T practically jumped down the hole, I thought I'd better man up and sort it out. So off came the dress, up went the hair, down went the camera, and I scooted off after her. It wasn't so bad actually, and quite nice to have some relief from the sweat and heat of upstairs. In the end, there were a few of us in there but the large part of the group stayed above ground.

Onto the next cenote, and it was one of the bigger ones around - and you could tell. Family fun for everyone apparently that day, with swarms of people running around, jumping off the little platform, squealing delighted little Spanish yelps. I swam away a bit and just floated in the strikingly blue pond, watching little fish dart around my huge lifeform and most probably nibble at my hair.

Then it was back onto the horse and cart, off to lunch at the random little village. And back onto the bus, where I once again fell asleep as J drifted into my consciousness with her casual observations about what lay beyond the window. I couldn't really tell you much of out there, I was spent! Then it was free time in Merida, for shopping and getting various things done. I bought some postcards then found it impossible to post them, go figure. Dinner was at another nice restaurant with a little old lady making tacos in the corner. And cocktails. More cocktails. 

No comments:

Post a Comment