Tuesday 17 November 2009

The imitable Holly Penfield... and me?!

Hello my darlings!

Well, didn't I have a fantastic stroke of luck last night!

After seeing the wonderful Holly Penfield, cabaret singer with a penchant for raunching up even the tamest of swing standards (cue My Baby Just Cares For Me) at the Bathhouse (Boom Boom Club) for the second time last Thursday, I was enchanted enough to come along to another of her performances, this time at the Green Carnation in Soho.

Having met Ms Penfield in person at the Bathhouse, I was keen to see more of her and learn how to better myself as a cabaret performer. And I also love any chance to see cabaret, so really it was a selfish notion at the core.

I invited along two old friends from school in Australia, Tim and Tia, and we were entertained by all manner of songs interrelated to weather. Cute! But the real surprise came when Holly called my bluff and actually dragged me onto the stage to sing with her. And here I was thinking her suggesting it was just part of the act!

Not knowing a helluva lot of standards word for word, I was at a loss and any of the random ones I suggested the band didn't know. So I settled for Fever, with Holly whispering each line into my ear. Fun times. I don't believe I totally stiffed it and I got a big applause at the end - most probably for Holly's contribution - but it was super fun and I was only a little bit nervous. I'd like to thank Mr Half Price Bellini for that!

Holly said afterwards that she thought I had a lot of "emotion" in my voice and was really impressed, so that can only be a good sign. She also said we should get together and make some "plans", which also lends itself to positive forward direction methinks. Fingers crossed something comes of it!

So that's it for this dame, let's hope the next time we meet I'm still sweating from another turn on the stage :)

Luv, S. deL x

No comments:

Post a Comment