Thursday 7 April 2016

Going countryside

The rain started up again today, which kinda thwarted my cherry blossom mission in Shinjuku park, so instead I checked out and headed straight to Kyoto. The train ride there, about 3 hours, saw the landscape change from dense city to outer suburb housing and into flat agricultural land at the foothills of misty mountains. On board, I helped to drink them out of wine (not that many, to be honest, but they should cater better for Aussies on these journeys) and noticed that the adorable train guard would bow entering and turn to bow leaving the carriage each time. Kawa’ii!

Once I got out to the more remote village about half an hour from Kyoto, I was to meet my hosts from my first ever AirBnB place at the station so it was a bit exciting. I'd done similar things with Couchsurfing and Help Exchange before, so the unfamiliar feeling was not strange, but I was curious to see what all the fuss was about with this new accommodation concept. F met me at the station as promised and drove me to their house, a cute property with a traditional looking guesthouse complete with low (heated) tables, tatami (straw matting as carpet) and sliding paper doors. 

It had been a long day for me in many ways and I was tired. I entertained the thought of going biking to get dinner but was relieved when my hosts kindly offered to feed me. It was raining pretty consistently and I just didn't like the thought of being lost again on the way home. I grabbed some snacks from the supermarket (soooo much choccie for my friends back home, just you wait guys!) with my hosts and then settled in for an early night. I had much biking to do then!

No comments:

Post a Comment